Saturday, September 12, 2009

Web Quest #3

The four educational research types, (descriptive, correlational, experimental, and action research) can all be helpful in obtaining information, but they do have their faults. Descriptive may be able to conclude valuable information but it also can be a long process and time consuming. Correlational studies may be able to compare two subejects and see how they relate to one another but they cannot prove the causation of the relationship. Experimental research can give us information by testing something on a group and comparing this to a group that was not tested. We may be able to see the affects of the testing, but experimental research does not work well with education. With action research a more positive process of research can be used on the classroom. A teacher that approaches their classroom with the hopes of learning how to become a better teacher may be able to do so using action research.

As a student in the process of becoming a teacher, I feel that understanding the different types of educational research will be helpful. As noted descriptive, correlational and experimental research have their place in science, but they do not necessarily have a place in teaching. With action research, a teacher can approach a subject to be taught in class with a new technique and study the effects at this new technique has on the class. If a teacher handles their action research where they do not have it interfere with teaching, it is not demanding on their time, they are commited to the research and they approach it ethically then the research can be a very positive process.

As a student and future teacher there is still alot to be learned about the process of action research. If I want to be able to test different teaching strategies on my classroom, and I will, I will need to go about the process diligently. The students must always come first when teaching and if I were to impose a new idea onto my class I would want to make sure that in all possible ways it would be beneficial. I feel that doing alot of research on my own before implimenting anything onto a classroom will be quite useful. Also, as I mentioned before, if am I commited to my research and I do not let it interfere with my teaching then it could be a positive learning tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment